Monday, February 23, 2015

Top Three: Oscars 2015

Another film year has come to a close with Birdman, one of last year's most divisive films, taking the top prize. Whether you agreed with that pick or not, last night's ceremony had plenty of unforgettable moments. Here's my top three:

3.) Speeches with a message
I probably could have just stuffed my top three with different speeches from the night and left it with that. Whether discussing suicide (Graham Moore, Adapted Screenplay and Dana Perry, Documentary Short), equal rights (Common and John Legend, Original Song), or the search for cures of various diseases(Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne, Actress and Actor), everyone was pushing an important message. Best of all was Patricia Arquette, so frazzled for most of the awards circuit, putting down her notebook paper to demand equal pay for women. I don't think I could put it better than Meryl Streep and JLo did:

Meryl Streep's Reaction To Patricia Arquette's Feminist Speech Was Absolutely Perfect





2.) Lady Gaga stuns with her 'Sound of Music' tribute
I need to start with a disclaimer: I love Lady Gaga.
Second disclaimer: I love The Sound of Music.
With all that love, this high ranking seems like a dead giveaway, but I was incredibly skeptical when I heard what Gaga's performance was going to be. She'd never displayed any of the vocal stylings necessary for such a massive musical theater piece, so I was unsure of what to expect.

I never should have doubted.



Not only did she crush it, but Dame Julie Andrews gave her seal of approval immediately afterward. My heart almost exploded. I'm looking forward to seeing her name thrown around shortlists for every upcoming movie musical for the next five years or so.

1.) Lego Oscars for everyone!
It seems fitting that, after being shockingly snubbed in the Best Animated Feature category, the night's most memorable moment would come from the team behind The Lego Movie. Having been nominated for Best Original Song, they worked their three minute spotlight into an event which left its mark on the rest of the ceremony. The image of Optah holding her Lego Oscar alone was so amazing that it was my computer background within ten minutes of airing.


The Lego Oscars made frequent appearances the rest of the night, held by Emma Stone during the Best Supporting announcement...


and seemingly everyone at the after parties. If there's any downside to this abundance of fake statuettes, it's that Leonardo DiCaprio was nowhere to be seen.

That's it for my opinions on this year's Oscars. Maybe by this time next year I'll be motivated enough to do a full-scale live blog on here. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment